Legal advice

When buying a property in a foreign country you need a solicitor. We ask all buyers for a solicitor who will look after your interests. A Lawyer in Spain is what a Solicitor or a Barrister in the UK.

You have to get legal advice before you purchase a property. Make sure you are dealing with a qualified solicitor. Buying a property abroad is different than buying a property in your country home. Not all solicitors offer the same service so ask friends and acquaintances for recommendations.

An independent lawyer who is not involved in the transaction will help to inform you about possible problems and issues, and protect you from future problems with your property. Your lawyer will conduct relevant searches such as the “Real Decreto 218” check licenses and ensure the property has been built legally without any legal claims on the property from a third party.

The property is free of debts and is up to date in all its payments.

Title deeds are properly executed.

Local council documents are transferred.

Taxes and costs to be paid in the transaction are correct.

NIE (Number identification for foreigners) are taken care of.

Electricity, water, community, rubbish collection and rates can set up by direct debit.

Local lawyers are also more likely to know about regional urban plans, the problems specific to the region, and the reputations of local estate agents and developers. They are on site to do any of the many legal checks that may need to be done, and can readily accompany you to the signing of the deeds before Notary.

Lawyer’s fees will be between 1% – 2% of the purchase price. Do not be tempted to scrimp on legal costs – following the right process now could save you a lot of time and trouble.

You enjoy Spain, we do the rest.

Taking care of you and your property in Spain.

Search for properties. Choose rent or sale